triple threat vegan gluten-free browniesPosted: August 13, 2011
I bet you’re intrigued by the title of this post just a little bit. I bet you’re also wondering what a triple threat brownie might entail. And, how on earth do you make a triple threat brownie that is vegan* and gluten-free?*depending on the chocolate you use will make it vegan or non-vegan – look for brands that say ‘dairy free.’
It’s pretty simple; have a brewing idea of a mushy, gooey, chocolatey brownie for almost a month. Then, make it so that it taste just like all of those things.
You could also make it so it’s all of those things and sorta, kinda good for you.
Triple Threat Vegan Gluten-Free Brownies
2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp warm water)
½ cup Earth Balance
4 squares Lindt 85% dark chocolate
1 cup natural brown sugar
¼ cup chickpea flour
¼ cup teff flour
½ cup ground almonds
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup cocoa powder
¼ cup cacao powder
1.5 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
~⅛ cup almond milk (about a splash)
¼ cup dried cherries
¼ – ½ cup chocolate chips
Sprinkle of unsweetened coconut on top.
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Prepare flax eggs and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine dark chocolate (4 squares) and Earth Balance in a bowl, and microwave until melted.
4. Once melted add brown sugar, vanilla, almond milk and flax eggs (when they reach egg consistency).
5. In another bowl, combine flours, ground almonds, baking powder, salt, cacao and cocoa powder together.
6. Add wet mixture to the dry one.
7. Stir in the optional’s if you desire (and like your brownies extra chocolatey ;)). Sprinkle coconut on batter once in dish if desired, as well.
8. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
9. Remove from oven, trying not to burn yourself as you cut into them while they’re still warm.
I can only imagine how good they might taste over a big bowl of vanilla coconut milk ice-cream. But, I could understand if I was the ice-cream how intimidating it might be placed next to a triple threat – who can compare to three different types of chocolate in one place?!
Now, please excuse me, I think I might go overdose on some more chocolatey goodness, if I do say so myself. And please send help if I don’t wake from my chocolate coma. But have more brownies ready for when I wake up, so I can do it all over again.