roasted sweet potatoes with spinach and garlicPosted: July 7, 2011
I am a great multi-tasker. I try to get multiple things done at once to save time.
I am great at carrying a glass of water on top of a closed laptop if it means saving a trip back upstairs to get the water.
I will loop as many bags of groceries on my arms as I can; even if it means leaving marks on my arms for at least 15 minutes after setting the grocery bags down.
I type comments’ on blogs and listen to the husband when he gets home from work. Wait, did he say next Wednesday or Thursday for taking me out to dinner…
I bake/cook/clean all while catching up on valuable information in the form of television. I also do this while running on the treadmill.
I even talk on two phones at once. Ok, that was a lie. I rarely talk on the phone at all.
But as much as I consider myself to be a great multi-tasker, these skills were diminished this evening. You see, instead of roasting the sweet potatoes and garlic at the same time, I was lazy…
It was quick to cut the tops off of the garlic and pop it into the oven, but cutting sweet potatoes? Those just took effort and a few extra minutes; minutes that I did not feel like using to cut up sweet potatoes with! Instead I took the long, un-multi-tasking route and roasted the garlic, then roasted the sweet potatoes.
Either way, it worked, but my multi-tasking ways are out the window. Soon you’ll find me too vulnerable to pretend-listen to the husband and I’ll actually give him my full undivided attention! This could be horrible!
Roasted Sweet Potatoes With Spinach and Garlic
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed (with or without skin)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head of garlic, top cut off
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1.5 tbsp Earth Balance
- drizzle of olive oil
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Cut top off garlic head and wrap in aluminum foil. Place cut sweet potatoes in baking dish and mix with 1 tbsp olive oil. Cover with aluminum foil. Place both in oven.
3. Remove tinfoil from potatoes after 20 mins, place back in oven and bake for another 20-25 mins, broil for final 5 mins.
4. When sweet potatoes are done, take both them and the garlic out of the oven. Let sit.
1. Preheat a mini oven to 400F.
2. Cut top off garlic, wrap in aluminum foil, place in oven, then go read some blogs and forget about it for a good 50 mins!
3. Remove from oven when you finally remember.
4. Get your act together.
5. While the baking is being accomplished (lazy or un-lazy way), get a frying pan, and heat to medium-high (closer to high).
6. Add Earth Balance to frying pan and let melt. Next, add shallot and saute for 2 minutes. Next, add in the spinach and roasted garlic and saute for another 2-3 mins until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat.
7. In a medium bowl combine the sauteed spinach mixture with sweet potatoes. Add in the lemon juice, drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix and enjoy!
It’s simple, yet tastes amazing!
And if you’re anything like me, you’ve accomplished a great meal all while watching Sex and the City and sampling food. Multi-tasking restored.