what to eat…Posted: June 13, 2011
First off, I would like to note that I am so slow moving right now. I need to snap out of this if I ever want to accomplish the things I had set out to do today!
Actually, I know why it might be like this- because of the food, activities and catching up on zzz’s.
This morning the hubby had a golf lesson to teach over at the gym (and by this I mean, the gym that has a huge indoor sports dome, where he does lessons), and instead of being lazy bones and sleeping through him being productive, I decided to tag along and run while he taught.
I had a slower run today (lacking sleep?) and didn’t push myself very hard; I did 6.38 miles in 60mins.
The funny thing is before the weather was nice here, I absolutely loved running on the treadmill and almost didn’t want to take it outside. Then one day, I decided it was time to make a route and see how my endurance was in the big bad world.
Ever since then (plus the combo of tanning while running, inhaling fresh air, seeing the world), I now don’t want to take it back inside. I did today, but with plans to run again outside on Wednesday.
This run left me huuuuungry…and I haven’t yet recovered from it! Which brings me to what to eat…
Nothing in the house is appealing to me right now. And if it is, chances are it’s an easy thing to consume, which normally means: not good for you!
The sensible thing would be to check out the grocery store, to buy what I really want right now: a banana covered in PB or coconut ice-cream (naturally!), but slow moving me needs some serious motivation. I’m hoping that’s coming…
While I stay slow-moving, I wanted to update you on my progress in terms of eating:
- Cut out all red meats – but maybe with the exception of eating bison at least once this summer.
- Cut out other meats – this includes chicken, turkey and pork.
- The only meats I’m still eating are: seafood and egg whites but slowly looking to work this out (maybe by end of summer).
- Reducing dairy intake – the only form of dairy I’ve been having lately has been from not closely looking at products that are free of dairy like: breads, cakes, pasta, ice-cream (duh) and prepared foods with cheese (like the veggie wrap I had last week) => this is a work in progress and I want to make this my #1 priority.
Swaps I’ve been making:
- Dairy swaps: drink coconut milk instead of cow’s milk, use vegan butter, and eat non-dairy cheeses (when applicable – I’ve actually gotten off the cheese train which was easier than I had thought it would be!)
- Meat swaps: since I’ve still been eating some seafood and egg whites, I’ve been getting protein there – other than that, protein powder, PB and beans.
- Fresh produce swaps: incorporating more fresh salads and fruits into my diet, drinking smoothies, salsas(!!!), avocado and things more natural in form
- Additive swaps: using better alternatives like EVOO + balsamic vinegar as salad dressing (even salsa for salad dressing), hummus for veggies, guac for rice chips, PB for anything (let’s be honest here), maple syrup, etc.
These are just some of the swaps I’m trying to do.
And last thing, my goals for the week:
- Run 3-4 times this week – one run already done!
- Find a good veggie burger recipe – preferably with quinoa in it and tons of veggies (zucchini, mushrooms, carrots, and beets to name a few) .
- Drink plenty of fresh water.
- Make 2-3 new recipes.
- Read ingredient labels of all foods questionable.
- Go to the Farmer’s Market on Saturday (missed it this past weekend :() .
- Celebrate hubby’s birthday on Wednesday – plus make “old” jokes about him.
- Keep reading those library books!